Special Patrol Bureau
1519 NW 79th Ave.
Doral, FL 33126
Major: Arnold Palmer
The Special Patrol Bureau:The Special Patrol Bureau augments traditional police functions and provides support to departmental entities, local, state and federal law enforcement agencies. The Bureau is comprised of the Specialized Patrol and Events, Tactical Operations and Police Operations Sections.
The Specialized Patrol and Events Section is comprised of the Aviation Unit, the Special Events Unit, the Marine Patrol Unit and Underwater Recovery Team, along with the Motor Unit and Breath Alcohol Testing and Impaired Driving Enforcement Squad.
The Tactical Operations Section is comprised of the Canine Unit, the Bomb Disposal Unit, the Special Response Team and the Incident Management Team.
The Police Operations Section is responsible for uniform patrol, criminal investigation services, and overall law enforcement services for all facilities owned and/or operated in Miami-Dade County and all unincorporated areas of Virginia Key, Key Biscayne, and downtown Miami-Dade. Below are more detailed descriptions of each section.
Tactical Operations Section
Special Response Team
- High-risk search and arrest warrants
- Armed barricaded subject incidents
- Hostage rescue situations
- Aircraft/vessel hijackings
- Support canine searches for armed subjects
- Support departmental deployments during civil protests/disorder
- Dignitary protection of US/foreign government officials
- Other major incidents requiring tactical response
Bomb Disposal Unit
- Explosive disposal calls
- Weapons of Mass Destruction calls
- Conducts research and development of tools and tactics
- Provides specialized training to other agencies
- Participates in advisory role on the Mobile Field Force Committee
- Searches for subjects and evidence
- Explosive searches and sweeps, including searching for body worn explosives
- Search for lost persons
- Cadaver searches
- Assist patrol units on calls
- Saturation patrols in districts
Incident Management Team
- Establishment of Operational Contingency Plans Which Include:
- Large-scale natural disasters
- Civil disorders
- Aircraft disasters
- Manmade disasters
- Acts of terrorism
- Complex shootings
- Coordinates and manages departmental response during mobilizations
- Coordinate departmental response to other agencies and counties requesting emergency related assistance
- Manages and coordinates the department's Mobile Field Force, Rapid Deployment Force
- Oversee Unmanned Aerial Vehicle developments for critical incidents and tactical operations
Specialized Patrol and Events Section
Aviation UnitThe Aviation Unit is responsible for providing aerial support to department personnel, as well as, a myriad of federal, state, and municipal first responder agencies and local governmental entities by providing the following services:
- Support of perimeter operations
- Investigative surveillances
- Vehicle and foot pursuits
- Reconnaissance for major events and demonstrations
- Assist other agencies
Marine PatrolThe Marine Patrol Unit provides enhanced patrols along 84 miles of coastline and 22 miles of beaches of Miami-Dade County and the Miami River. The Underwater Recovery Team conducts dives throughout the inland and coastal waterways of Miami-Dade County for the purpose of conducting evidentiary searches, port security dives and recovering vehicles and deceased persons.
- Enforces maritime laws in the coastal and inland waterways of Miami-Dade County
- Inspects vessels
- Renders assistance to other agencies
- Conducts search and rescue operations
- Assists with alien and drug smuggling interdiction
- Enforces State environmental and marine fishing laws
Motorcycle UnitThe Motorcycle Unit, Breath Alcohol Testing, and Impaired Driving Enforcement Squad’s primary focus is on traffic enforcement, along with safety; which is accomplished by conducting Driving Under the Influence enforcement, traffic initiatives, school zone enforcement, and safety escorts.
- Enforces Florida State traffic statutes
- Conducts specialized enforcement
- DUI checkpoints/saturation patrols
- School zones
- Participate in public information and education campaigns
- Dignitary and specialized escorts
- Breath Alcohol Testing Squad (BATS)
Special Events UnitThe Special Events Unit is responsible for planning, coordinating, and managing police services for all large-scale major events throughout Miami-Dade County.
- Plans, coordinates and manages police services to major events
- Coordinates off-regular duty for major events
- Marlins Ball Park
- Hard Rock Stadium
- Miami-Dade County Youth Fair
- Adrienne Arsht Center
- Coordinates staffing of film jobs for Miami-Dade County Film Office
Police Operations Section
The Police Operations Section provides police coverage for many of MDC’s high-profile locations including the Stephen P. Clark Government Center, Jackson Memorial Hospital, and the Metrorail/Metromover System. Additionally, uniform patrol and general investigative services are provided to many recreational, natural, and cultural venues such as the Main Library and Cultural Center; the Rickenbacker Toll and Causeway; the unincorporated beaches and roadways on Key Biscayne; the Miami Seaquarium and Crandon Park facilities; Bill Baggs State Park; Fisher Island; Vizcaya Museum and Gardens; Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts; and Marlins Park.